If you are an experienced teacher with a degree, with GCSE C or above in English and Maths, and you are currently employed in a school but do not yet have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), then you can apply for the Assessment Only route to QTS.
The Assessment Only route allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS, without the need for any further full-time training.
You will need to present detailed evidence, and your teaching will be assessed in school by NTTC. You must also take the professional skills tests in literacy and numeracy before you can be recommended for QTS.
The Assessment Only route does not require you to undertake a period of training so if you are successful through selection, you move straight into the assessment process. The assessment period usually lasts no more than one term.
Is the Assessment Only route suitable for me?
The Assessment Only route is suitable for you if:
- you have been teaching successfully for a minimum of two years full time or the equivalent
- you have taught in at least two schools
- you are already a highly competent classroom teacher (at least "Good" based on the ITT Ofsted criteria for teaching)
- you will be employed in a teaching or instructor role for the duration of the assessment period at a school where you can meet the full requirements of the QTS Standards
- you are in a school which will support you through the application and assessment process
Assessment Only fees